Friday, August 26, 2011

Review: Six Moon Summer by S.M. Reine

Title: Six Moon Summer
Author: S.M. Reine
Publisher: self published
Publish Date: April 29, 2011
Genre: YA, paranormal
Pages: 126 (ebook)
Source: From author for review
Series: Seasons of the Moon
1. Six Moon Summer
2. All Hallows Moon (September 9, 2011)
3. Long Night Moon (Spring 2012)

Synopsis:
Rylie's been bitten.

She's changing.

And now she has three months to find a cure before becoming a werewolf... forever.

Rylie Gresham hates everything about summer camp: the food, the fresh air, the dumb activities, and the other girls in her cabin. But the worst part is probably being bitten by a werewolf. Being a teenager is hard enough, but now she's craving raw flesh and struggles with uncontrollable anger. If she doesn't figure out a way to stop the transformation, then at the end of summer, her life is worse than over. She'll be a monster.


SIX MOON SUMMER was a lot more than what I expected it to be. The characters were great, the story was captivating, and it had an explosive ending. As soon as I finished it, I tweeted the author about how much I loved it and she offered to send me book 2, All Hallows Moon! I’m going to start it as soon as I finish this review :).

Rylie was a great main character, one that readers can relate to. She’s a city girl who has been shipped off to summer camp while her parents sort out their divorce. On top of that, she’s a vegetarian with only meat food options, and she’s being severely bullied. What I liked about Rylie was that, although she was a bit of a brat to begin with, when she found out that she’d been bitten by a werewolf, she didn’t deny it or freak out, she was just really confused. From that point, she does her best to figure out what’s going on with her and how she’s supposed to continue her life after camp, considering this new development.

Seth was her pocket book of answers, when he decided to show up. And even then, he would only give her bits of information at a time so she spent most of the summer trying to sneak out for transformations and trying to get info from Seth. I loved the mystery surrounding Seth. The big question was constantly: Why is he helping Rylie? That, along with other questions about who Seth really is, doesn’t get answered until the end of the story.

I liked Reine’s werewolves. Even after being bitten, Rylie isn’t condemned to be a werewolf forever. It’s only after the sixth moon (including new and full moons) that she will fully change. Although I had my suspicions about who the werewolf was that had bitten Rylie, there were also a few things I didn’t see coming. I like when that happens in the books I read. I really enjoyed Reine’s writing. Both her descriptions and dialogue were well done and kept me wanting to read. I have to say, I think her writing was at it’s best when she was describing the change. Check out this teaser to see what I mean. You can also watch the book trailer there.

I’m really happy that there’s a second book in this series, because I am definitely not done with Rylie, Seth, and S.M. Reine’s werewolves and writing. To read the first page, or buy yourself a copy for $2.99 USD, visit SixMoonSummer.com. I'm off to read ALL HALLOWS MOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment