Friday, June 10, 2011

Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Glass
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publish Date: March 24, 2009
Genre: YA, fantasy
Pages: 541
Series: The Mortal Instruments
1. City of Bones (review)
2. City of Ashes (review)
3. City of Glass
4. City of Fallen Angels (April 5, 2011)
5. City of Lost Souls (expected pub May 2012)
6. City of Heavenly Fire (expected pub Sept 2013)

***WARNING: Spoilers if you haven’t read Books 1 & 2 of The Mortal Instruments!***

Synopsis:
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final installment of the New York Times bestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments.


I am fully confident in saying that City of Glass is my favourite book of The Mortal Instruments series, so far. I feel like that probably had to do with the fact that it was a new setting, and also that there were a few new characters, both good and bad. It was a big adventure for all the characters, lots of questions were answered, and it was all very emotional.

If you’ve read my reviews before, you know that I love to get emotionally invested in the characters. Technically, I’ve been emotionally invested since the first book, but that’s not the point. I felt like this book was a bigger emotional roller coaster than the last couple. Yes, in CoB Clary and Jace were all lovey dovey, then in CoA they were all “Oh em gee, you’re my sibling.” But in CoG, it wasn’t just Clary and Jace’s feelings. I can’t remember anyone else’s feelings from the other books (except some flirtiness around Isabelle/Simon, Maia/Simon, and Alec/Magnus). This third book really shows us more than the one relationship. It shows more of Alec and Magnus, of Isabelle, Luke, Simon, and more. I’ve never had a problem with book focusing on one relationship (most are this way), but I feel like after two books centred on the Clary/Jace relationship, it was refreshing and exciting to see more of the other characters.

I’m always amazed at how much Cassie Clare packs into one book. I guess that’s why they’re all around 500 pages. There’s just SO MUCH that happens! I don’t want to give spoilers, but I do want to say that you need to be prepared for lots of ups and downs, lots of questions answered, and a very good ending. I loved the ending.

Sorry this is such a weird review, but I don’t know how to put anything into words apparently! I finished the book a week ago, and haven’t figured out how to write the review yet, so this will have to do. All I have to say is if you’ve been putting off continuing this series, at least finish up this book. It is a great way to finish off the first half of the series.

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

3 comments:

  1. Great review! COG is one of my favorites as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COG was my favorite of the 4 books thus far! Loved it! :0)

    ReplyDelete