Thursday, June 7, 2012

Review: Destiny and Deception by Shannon Delany

Title: Destiny and Deception
Author: Shannon Delany
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publish Date: January 31, 2012
Genre: YA, paranormal
Pages: 289
Source: Borrowed
Series: 13 to Life #4
1. 13 to Life (review)
2. Secrets and Shadows (review)
3. Bargains and Betrayals (review)
4. Destiny and Deception
5. Rivals and Retributions (August 7, 2012)

**WARNING: SPOILERS**
Synopsis:
The sensational fourth novel in the 13 to Life series sees Jessica and the Rusakuvas fighting to overcome one of their biggest challenges yet--the possibility of a cure for lycanthropy.

With the threat of the mafia seemingly gone and the company's headquarters in Junction destroyed, Pietr Rusakova is adjusting to being a normal teen and Jess is realizing normalcy may not be what she wanted after all. But both Jess and Cat know the truth--that normal can't be taken for granted. Their precious cure isn't permanent--and when a new danger stalks into their small town, Alexi decides he must overcome his issues with the mother who abandoned him to be raised by wolves and make a brand new deal to save his adopted family.


I didn’t know what to expect from this book. I thought: How can you have a werewolf story without any werewolves? I found out soon enough when I was a few chapters in and saw: Marlaena. A new narrator? A new werewolf narrator?? It was so interesting! I didn’t know anything about Marlaena or her pack, and for the first while, her story wasn’t even connected to that of Jessie and the Rusakovas. It was like reading a completely different story within the one I picked up to read. And when they did connect, old problems came rushing back for the Rusakovas.

Life for Jessie is tough now. I know, it was tough before, but this is a different type of tough now. Pietr has become this entirely different person and Jessie’s realizing that the wolf was such a big part of Pietr and she’s lost some of the things she loved most about him when he took the cure. She’s learning one of those life lessons: don’t try to change anyone, especially if you love them. And she’s learning it the hard way.

Although it didn’t seem like there was anything big happening in this book, especially compared to the last one, it still kept me really interested and wanting to read more. Part of that was because of the addition of Marlaena. Part of it was because I knew what Jessie and Cat knew, and I was basically waiting for the s--- to hit the fan; for something to happen to force the change in Pietr and Max, for danger. Danger came, s--- hit the fan, but not the way I was expecting it to.

I think the best part of this book was the page between the last page and the acknowledgements. I became quite familiar with this page. I stared at this page for a good long time because I couldn’t actually believe there was no writing on it. That the way things were written on the previous page was actually the way it was going to end. It was hard accepting that.

This fourth book is great. It’s not my favourite, but I definitely enjoyed it as much as the others. It sets things up well for a grand finale. And, oh goodness, I can’t wait for that finale! This is one of the best werewolf stories I’ve ever read and I think everyone should read these books!

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment