Thursday, April 19, 2012

Review: Bargains and Betrayals by Shannon Delany

Title: Bargains and Betrayals
Author: Shannon Delany
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publish Date: August 16, 2011
Genre: YA, paranormal
Pages: 303
Series: 13 to Life #3
1. 13 to Life (review)
2. Secrets and Shadows (review)
3. Bargains and Betrayals
4. Destiny and Deception (January 31, 2012)
5. Rivals and Retribution (August 7, 2012)

**WARNING: SPOILERS**
Synopsis:
Locked away at Pecan Place, Jessie finds her situation to be even more dangerous than she feared. While she struggles to maintain her sanity and discover answers about the group that seems less and less like any legitimate government agency, Pietr fights to keep their relationship alive. But very aware that his mother’s time is running out, Pietr makes a deal he doesn’t dare tell Jessie about. Because the deal Pietr’s made could mean the death of far more than his tenuous relationship with the girl he loves.

Pietr and Jess are one of my favourite YA couples. I like how their relationship started out fairly normal (with the exception of the werewolf thing). What I mean is that they started more as friends, and then took it further, before eventually falling in love. And in Bargains and Betrayals, their relationship is tested more than ever. This time it’s not just a friend getting in the way. It’s the CIA and the Mafia. And time itself.

This book picks up right where Secrets and Shadows left off, actually reiterating that last scene in 3rd person narrative. It was a great refresher of the cliffhanger ending, but also gave us more insight and dialogue than we had from Jessie’s point of view. After that prologue, we get the first glimpse of what’s going on in Alexi’s head, as he’s a new narrator in the story. This was a great idea on Shannon’s part, especially because Jessie’s locked away in the mental hospital. It allows us not only to get to know Alexi as a character, but to see what’s going on outside of Pecan Place. We are able to keep some track on what Pietr is doing to rescue both his mother and Jess. Meanwhile, Jess is piecing together information on Pecan Place and those who run it. And finding out that there is something seriously wrong with that place.

I love this book the most out of the three in the series that I’ve read so far. There’s so much mystery and conspiracy that it really kept me reading. And the setting changed a lot between Alexi and Jessie’s narratives, which I like. It keeps the pace of the story moving. I also loved how Jess and Pietr were finally officially together and didn’t have to hide their feelings anymore. Even though they weren’t literally together for a while, they were still able to be open and loving, just the way I’ve been waiting for them to be for so long! And then there's the sexual tension in this book... *fans self*. HOT! I loved it all!

I have book 4, Destiny and Deception sitting on my shelf and I don’t think I’ll wait too long before reading it. I can’t keep myself away from Jess and Pietr for too long.

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment